Sunday, June 17, 2012

Cricket Creek: June 10, 2012

I think it is technically in Addison, IL. It's right off of Route 83, between North Ave and Lake street.

We did a little over 3 miles on a warm but dry June afternoon. It was absolutely beautiful, but the path is a little sunny north of the parking lot (around the small ponds). We went north to a little past the picnic area, then looped back around. The trails are gravel, but packed well enough for bikes and strollers. South of the parking area by the model boat pond the path is paved, and there is a lot more shade from the trees. We only went about 1/2 a mile south, so I'm not sure if it continues that nice and shaded, but it was quite nice, and relatively flat.

Best part of this walk for us- as we were heading back towards the car after about 2.75 miles walked, I heard a noise in the forest preserve- did you know that white-tailed deer snort? We slowed down and watched it for a while, and I think it was curious about my almost 3 year old as it came pretty close! After we passed where it was, it crossed the path behind us, and shortly later crosses back over. As we were walking across a bridge that spans the creek and a grass field, the deer swam/walked across the creek, then ran under the bridge on the grass field. When we reached the main trail again it ran back across the path in front of us this time, and that's when my husband snapped a picture. We saw it one last time when I jogged back to find our almost 3-year olds blanket that he had dropped on the bridge when I was distracted by the deer (and if anyone has had a toddler with a favorite blanket, you know I couldn't leave that behind). It definitely gave us that energy we needed for the last bit of our walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment